MNV Consulting Ltd has extensive experience in hydropower developments. We have worked on over 50 small hydro schemes in the UK and some 75 large hydro schemes in Scotland. We use our in-house skills in design, surveys and assessments and work closely to guidelines produced by the Scottish Environment Protection Agency and the Environment Agency.
MNV is also a member of the British Hydropower Association
Using our experience of river gauging we have established a network of river and reservoir monitoring stations on many of Scotland’s largest hydropower schemes. From the data gathered we are able to determine whether schemes are operating efficiently, maintaining the required flows in the rivers while using the excess for hydropower generation.
For small scale hydropower schemes (less than 2MW) we undertake feasibility studies, carry out monitoring, surveys and assessments during the development phase enabling land owners to take a hydropower scheme through the design and planning process.
We have undertaken a large number of hydropower potential studies using our network of river gauging stations to enable flows in the river to be estimated. If the hydropower scheme is going ahead then we carry out the river gauging, undertake environmental surveys, prepare environmental impact reports and obtain consents to build the scheme. During this period we work closely with civil engineering firms to ensure the hydro scheme is buildable, to design the scheme and to estimate the capital costs for the development.
Previous related contracts which MNV has undertaken include:
- Environmental surveys, river gauging, design and planning of the Callander hydropower project.
- Development of guidance for hydropower developments in the Loch Lomond and the Trossachs National Park.
- Assessment of the hydropower potential of over 600 catchments in Northern Scotland.
- River gauging, environmental surveys and planning application for a hydropower scheme in Kintyre.
- River gauging, environmental surveys and planning application for a small hydropower scheme near Kelso.
- River gauging, environmental surveys and planning application for two hydropower schemes on the Isle of Arran.
- Hydropower potential and river gauging works for about 50 small hydropower schemes in Scotland.
- River gauging works and environmental surveys for 4 large scale hydropower schemes in Scotland.
- Callander hydropower project – feasibility study (Parts 1 and 2).
- Assessment of the hydropower potential on 12 highland estates in Scotland.
- River gauging works on the large scale hydropower assets in Scotland.
Contact MNV: email@example.com