MNV delivers restoration solutions for rivers and river channels, including erosion damage caused by flood flows, rivers which have been damaged by machinery, canalised, culverted or gravel abstraction, inappropriate infrastructure in or next to the river, where effluent discharge affects water quality and where water abstraction or storage impacts the natural flows of the rivers.
This type of work can be very sensitive and detailed surveys of the river are undertaken, plans are developed and monitoring systems installed. All aspects of the river system are considered from land ownership, fish migration, protected species and protection of water supplies. The work is carried out at appropriate times of the year and measures undertaken to avoid damage caused by machinery operating in or close to the rivers.
Some of the case studies which we have worked on are illustrated below:
Impact of hard engineering:
The techniques used by MNV for river restoration work includes:
- Rock armouring – use of boulders as rip-rap in very energetic rivers.
- Willow spiling – use of green willow to create living bank protection.
- Meander restoration – re-create channel meanders in canalised rivers
- Leaky barriers – creation of leaky barriers along river banks
- Riparian tree planting – restoration of woodlands for bank protection
- Large woody debris – restoration to create natural buffers in the channel
- Sediment management – restoration of natural sediment features
These techniques are illustrated below:
Contact MNV: email@example.com